Monday, May 31, 2010

It's time we gave up a little piece of who we are, so that others can become who they are supposed to be

So it’s 6 am as I begin this post on a Saturday morning. I have just woken up after having a very strange dream. Although strange, it was a dream that I think I needed to get down on paper as it was one of importance.

Now to start, the dream started off a little strange. As I was going to bed, I watched a TV show about the big cheese roll races in England. You know the ones; where men and woman hurl themselves down a steep cliff chasing after a wheel of cheese.

Well, in my dream I was in the Winter Olympic games and one of the sports was to run down a snow covered hill with a shovel in your hand (from what I recall, it was modeled after avalanche rescue people or something). Well, turns out I won gold! And in the dream I became extremely emotional and I ran around with such joy that I eventually fell to my knees and was weeping, praying and thanking God. I remember clearly thinking “I can now use what you have given me Father to show people who you were as Jesus.” As I was kneeling down, looking up and praying, I remember a large globe circling above my head.

Suddenly, the surroundings of the dream changed. I ended up in a basement with a microphone speaking to a group of people who were upstairs in the house; I think in reference to my Olympic win.

My speech went something like this. “I believe that we are all here for a reason. God has called us to care for one another” (a word throughout this speech that kept resonating was the word ‘sacrifice’). God has called us to sacrifice. Now I’m not saying that people aren’t currently making sacrifices in their lives; whether it be donating to certain organizations/foundations or volunteering from time to time. However I think we are being called to take that next step. To give up something that affects our lives every day; to give up something from our everyday lives. It’s time we gave up a little piece of who we are, so that others can become who they are supposed to be.”

The last line was what prompted me to wake up on a Saturday morning and put this on paper.

Recently I have struggled to find my next step with God. As many of you know, due to unforeseen circumstances, I won’t be traveling to Africa in September as originally planned. This was disappointing news to say the least. I am staying positive but am still trying to figure out what to do now. What are your plans for me God? Perhaps the line at the end of my dream speech was God’s way of telling me what I can do for now and what God has always called us to do. To give up a little piece of who we are, so that other’s can become who they are supposed to be.

I’m still thinking on this dream, the speech, and the last line. So, if you have any thoughts or input, I would love to hear them!

2 comments:

Lacey said...

"It’s time we gave up a little piece of who we are, so that others can become who they are supposed to be.”

i...adore...this...

MeginAfrica said...

Dan, I love that dream, what a blessing to have such insight and truth during sleep. I typically dream about talking to people or falling off cliffs or flying. Yours is much better. :)

I understand the wait. I feel frustrated by the same delays in the plans I thought were from God. And now, a year and a half later...still waiting to see what all those dreams and hopes were all about. God has good in store for you Dan. He loves you, has a purpose and plan for you, has given you something that you are being called to give away, maybe even now -- maybe even giving up Africa in September? Maybe God will use this time to help someone else become, through their relationship with you? God's ways are mysterious indeed.

sending love and hope to you my husband.